Project lead: Kelly Gilbert (firstname.lastname@example.org)
In October 2018, the Illinois State Board of Education (ISBE) identified districts throughout the state with high out-of-school suspension rates, high proportions of expulsions, and racial disproportionality in suspensions and expulsions. Districts on this list will now have to create a board-approved plan to address the disproportionality.
In 2017–18, the Midwest Comprehensive Center (MWCC) began partnering with ISBE to develop a plan template that districts can use as well as a guidance document to support the plans’ implementation. Now, MWCC—in partnership with the Center on Great Teachers and Leaders and the National Center on Safe Supportive Learning Environments—is continuing to collaborate with ISBE to support the identified districts moving forward.
- Codesigning and implementing a conference presentation, webinar series, and virtual peer-to-peer learning network to deepen understanding of disproportionality and how to address this issue
- Analyzing and providing feedback on select district action plans
- Submitting an Ask A Regional Education Laboratory request for a list of evidence-based practices that state and local education agencies can consider
- Providing thought partnership on enhancing the mechanisms for sharing discipline data and determining the role of equity in addressing disproportionality
- ISBE distributes to districts a suite of resources designed to address discipline disproportionalities.
- District staff participating in the peer network report improved access to resources and support to address discipline disproportionalities in their district.
- Great teachers and leaders