This project is a continuation of work from Years 1–4. Earlier technical assistance focused on helping IDE develop common language for standards implementation as well as strategies and processes to review English language arts (ELA) standards and revise social studies standards. In Year 5, the Midwest Comprehensive Center (MWCC) will continue to intensify its technical assistance to IDE. As the state moves forward with implementation of the Iowa Core, each content area (ELA, mathematics, science, social studies, and the arts) is in a different stage of implementation and requires differentiated support from MWCC. The stages of implementation include exploration, installation, initial implementation, scale-up, and full implementation. The stages move from examining grade-level standards and benchmarks to disseminating information to monitoring the progress of the rollout of standards.
To implement the Iowa Core statewide.
MWCC will provide technical assistance to IDE related to the following objectives:
- Develop tools and resources to support implementation of the literacy standards recommendations approved by the governor.
- Complete a review of the fine arts standards.
- Complete review and approval of the social studies standards.
- Develop tools and resources to support the rollout of the Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS).
- Support the design and implementation of the Statewide Mathematics Leadership Team professional development to improve teachers’ mathematics instructional practice and begin to plan for integration of support into the state’s multi-tiered system of support.