Project lead: Rebecca Bates (firstname.lastname@example.org)
To help teachers implement standards, the Minnesota Department of Education (MDE) created an online portal that supports districts and schools as they build a standards-based system of instruction. This portal, launched in 2018, is a key mechanism for improving teachers’ instructional practices as part of the school improvement process outlined in the state’s Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA) plan. MDE wants to ensure that the portal is engaging, useful, and accessible for educators.
In 2017–18, the Midwest Comprehensive Center (MWCC) helped develop the portal content and continuous improvement process. Now, MWCC is helping to complete the portal, identify cross-content best practices, and gather and analyze stakeholder feedback.
- Providing thought partnership and content expertise through meetings every other week
- Supporting MDE in implementing the continuous improvement plan and gathering and analyzing stakeholder feedback
- Helping to develop new standards portal content through regular planning meetings and review of materials and resources
- MDE can better support schools and districts in implementing state content standards using the portal as revised by stakeholder feedback.
- MDE implements a continuous improvement plan to modify and improve the portal.
- Standards and assessment
- College and career readiness
- School turnaround